Elliott's Exposure

Elliott's Exposure
a diary and journal of our lives...

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Public Schools vs Strong Military

I became a teacher not only because I love working with children but mostly I believe in public education. Being the ONLY person in my family to graduate college, like most teachers, I obtained a master's degree and later, National Board Certification. To do this I have taken out thousands of dollars in loans. My mom, who was a single parent and worked hard to make ends meet with four children, was never in the position to help, financially. Bottom line is, I must have a deeper moral obligation to give to society and create a better future for our children. Public education is under attack! Under No Child Left Behind (NCLB), I find what is currently happening to our schools, our children and our society, an atrocity. I am all for removing "bad teachers" from the classroom but, If you are a teacher, parent or student who knows the quality of education you receive or have received in public school like I did, the time is now to protect our schools and at the very least, your future. Contact your legislator if you have a good public school success story. If you are a public school teacher, be proud of the accomplishments your students who have gone beyond your classroom to do great things. Put these accomplishments front and center, now! How many of your former students wanted to become teachers, doctors, lawyers, scientists and engineers because of you? If we loose our great teachers because of a few bad ones and worse, our treasured public schools, it leaves our society with nothing else but maybe a strong military.

No comments: