Elliott's Exposure

Elliott's Exposure
a diary and journal of our lives...

Saturday, December 26, 2009

My Annual Christmas Greeting to Legislators

Dear Representative Morrell,

Thank you for serving our community of Puyallup. I appreciate your commitment during these difficult economic times.

If you remember, a few years ago you visited my classroom at Wildwood Park Elementary. I am a first grade teacher and have been for fifteen years. Prior to that I worked as a preschool teacher and a parent educator for Pierce College Early Childhood Department. This year I expanded my education beyond a masters degree to National Board Certified Teacher. There currently has been no harder time for my students and their families than the present. Telling me it is going to get harder is difficult for me to believe as the classroom teacher is the first responder to the basic needs of children many times.

I pay a lot of attention to the recent choices being made in our state. I am proud to live here, and like you I have a higher need to serve the public. Moreover, I have read the link of proposed cuts to education from Department of Early Learning, K-12 and Higher Education you have sent. Since my last letter, I could easily add public safety with our police officers being shot and killed as another top priority. It truly is beyond belief and we very well may be faced with more felons being released from jail or others who are deeply mentally disturbed not having access to mental health services.

It does not appear that many cuts are being made to transportation. I cannot believe the tax payers are still committed to building a viaduct in Seattle and the ferry system should be able to support itself through tolls. All bridges should be toll bridges at this time, Hood Canal, 520, 1-90, 1-5 into Oregon.

As far as higher education is concerned, we need to greatly reduce the number of out of state students we are subsidizing.

Since I am proud, like you, to live in Washington and I am a fourth generation Washingtonian from Pierce County, when do we start discussing a state income tax? It truly could be a fairer tax for the elderly and poorest citizens of our fine state.

Sincerely,
Lisa Elliott
Puyallup, WA.

No comments: