Elliott's Exposure

Elliott's Exposure
a diary and journal of our lives...

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Celebrate the Challenge of Average!

Just about one year ago, I started a journey to complete National Board Certification for teachers. I thought it would be easy, but I quickly learned I would have to rely on the help of my friends, family, co-workers and parents of my students. I passed but by only 12 points! No stellar performance like there was back in the college days on the honor roll with a 3.8 GPA in Science. It was real time, working a job full time, balancing studies, having a family, and finding time to enjoy life as well as learn. This past Friday the great National Board deity informed me what I've really thought all along, I am average. When I think about me compared to most others, that is, what I am. Average age 52, average shoe size 7, average height 5'2", average clothing (size whatever I'd like you to think), average eye color brown, average house 2,400 sq, ft, average car Honda, average number of children 3. Is there anything wrong with being average all around? I could make average a challenge for me. It could become an opportunity to try out new things beyond average. I could take up bungie jumping, or become a competitive race car driver. Until then I'm having a great time enjoying this life and dreaming what something beyond average might be!

1 comment:

Mr. E said...

There is a slightly different way to look at this.

How many teachers are even up to the challenge of taking National Boards? 10%? 5%? So, an average score, is already among the top 10% of all teachers.

The average education in this country is "some college". Fewer actually have a bachelor's degree. Rarer still is a Master's degree. Hardly average.